Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Hmm...

I started writing again last night. I only managed 300 words before I was competely wiped out, which I know is partly because I'm sick, but I'm guessing it also has something to do with using parts of my brain that have collected dust and God knows what else over the past several months. Nonetheless, like a good workout after some time off, it felt good to stretch those muscles, too. :)

Only problem is...I resurrected a story I'd started awhile ago (albeit it very minimally...like ten pages worth) for a pitch contest, since, woohoo, the editors are running another contest in the upcoming months. But...after plotting and pinning down the conflict some, I'm not so sure that I have the voice for what these editors are looking for. I *could* write what they want, but it isn't natural to me. I write more...relaxed? More quirky? More playful? Not sure exactly what it is, but it's just different.

Now, that's not to say that I don't believe in writing beyond your boundaries or out of your comfort zone--hello, that's a given! I just done know that I can be authentic enough with the particular line to do the story(ies) justice. If that makes any sense...

Then again...I hate to pass up an opportunity to get a story (any story!) in front of an editor. So, at the moment, I'm kinda torn. Push myself toward something different that really stretches the scope of my writing or forget the contest and just write what feels good? I guess I know the answer already, but I'm not thrilled with the thought of letting a potential opportunity pass me by either. I mean, I'm just starting to write again. Why not up my game right from the get-go?

Hmm...

What do you think? Do you stick to your comfort zone? Or have you pushed yourself toward something else? Has it paid off for you?

*M, I already know your answer to this one, seeing as the evidence of your boundary pushing is in a cover at the top right of this post. :D*

ETA: I have to say that there is something about the line I'm contemplating that really fits some of my story ideas, too. So while my voice may need some tweaking, I think I'm on the right page with the plotting. Gah. So many things to weigh...

2 comments:

  1. I don't know. I say keep your voice, and still aim for the line?
    Because maybe it isn't a perfect fit, but it'll be more comfortable for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, so I will keep my opinion to myself then. God thanks for singling me out ;)

    Can I agree with December? I mean.... I would like to think my voice is still carried over in Buckling Down the same as it is in Chosen... just different dynamics and pov. Nothing says it won't still be great and publishable right?

    Well so much for keeping my opinion to myself.

    ReplyDelete