Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Lost the Big V

My audiobook virginity, that is. :)

Hmm, well, actually, now that I think about it, I did listen to something awhile back, but that was *shudder* to learn something. This time it's all for fun, thus feels like the first time. :D

Anyhow, I'm listening to my first fiction audiobook and I am simply awestruck at the awesomeness of the whole thing. I wasn't sure it'd be for me, because, as a writer I kinda like to actually see the words and how sentences are formed, etc. But I think I could quickly get over that and fall in love with just listening instead. I mean, I can completely multitask while doing it and, God knows, I need all the time I can get these days. I can also just lay on the couch with my blankie, take the lazy reader's route, and do absolutely nothing else. ;)

I like this so much that I really wish I'd pushed harder for an iPod for Valentine's Day. Instead, I decided to join RWA. Though I haven't actually mailed the application yet... It's supposed to go in the mail today... Hmm. Maybe I could really get my butt moving and start-- I mean, keep up with walking if I could listen to books while I exercised.

What do you think? Do you dig audiobooks? Does listening to them motivate you while working out? Or should I just stick with RWA? :)

2 comments:

  1. The only time I listened to one was on a long road trip, and I didn't really like the story, so I can't judge audio books by that.

    I DO love This American Life podcasts, they're 1 hour long, so you can time out a roadtrip or flight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to listen to audiobooks all the time. drove the kids to school 20 minutes away. I do like it. I started looking for books based on the reader, cuz they aren't all great. Brockmann's readers drive me a little crazy... Cussler's reader sounds like a 1950s radio broadcast--cool to boring. I loved one guy...i'll have to look his name up. Gary something or other. OMG, great voice. Littman! that's it. He read Nora's Northern Lights and I LOVED IT, so I picked up Cuba Strait by Carsten STroud--not a romance, but good anyway.

    :-) have fun! and walking is good for you. I should do more, too.

    ReplyDelete