Monday, December 15, 2008

The Loofah Mission

Welcome to The Loofah, the place where I will be "scouring away the old and bringing forth the new" in 2009.

So, maybe getting rid of the "old" isn't entirely correct, because what I'm really hoping to achieve by keeping this blog is to allow the fun, confident, life-loving person I used to be to resurface again. Somewhere along the way (in the midst of kids, marriage, and college...in that order), I lost her. And, frankly, I'm sick of pretending I'm happy as things are. Now, don't get me wrong--I love my family--but, as far too many people out there know, this person I appear to be on the outside is not who I feel I am inside. Honestly, I don't know who the hell she is other than that she's lazy, indecisive, scared (of too many things to mention), and she's letting life pass her by as she waits for the so-called "right" time to break free.

Well, folks, we all know that there will never be a "right" time. There will always be something that threatens to hold us back and I refuse to give in to it anymore. I absolutely refuse to continue living my life "in waiting". The time for me is now. I am not getting any younger and life certainly isn't slowing down.

Now, I don't plan to use this space to gripe about what I feel I'm missing and what I really want--I plan to use this blog as a journal of sorts in which I let loose, hopefully to the extent I shed the not-so-accurate exterior to expose the woman I am and have always been. Of course, there will be some evolving involved--okay, lots of evolving--as I've yet to perfect any aspect of my life. Except maybe my love of tattooed men and iced mochas, but I digress...

Some hints as to what to expect in the months to come: my journey toward better health, a turn-around of my chronic indecision (aka fear of making the wrong decision, namely when it comes to my aspirations to write), my intellectual expansion (finally fulfilling my high-school aspiration of conquering classic novels and becoming more politically opinionated), my journey toward organization (in other words, keeping my house clean, because, yes, that is a real issue for me), and becoming an overall better person (i.e. a better mother, a better friend, a better employee, etc.).

So, I hope that I don't bore you to tears, but rather show you a side of myself (or several sides, as it may be) that you didn't know existed.

1 comment:

  1. These are fabulous goals Sal and I look forward to being there to support you on your journey should you need it. Otherwise, I am going to hang on tight because I am sure it will be one hell of a ride.

    ReplyDelete