Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Reading

As I've mentioned, submerging myself in the literary genius of classic novels has long been an aspiration of mine. I remember having this list of must-read classics in high school (not sure where it came from), but the only one I ever managed to cross off was The Grapes of Wrath and that was because it was required for freshman-year English. I actually liked the book, though I'm sure I didn't get as much out of it then as I would now. Knowing that I was able to read Steinbeck without wanting to pull my hair out, I picked up East of Eden from the library and just began reading it this week.

Holy crap, it's a long book. Some 602 pages to be exact. And the print isn't the largest I've read either. It might seriously take me a month to read this book. Of course, I'm sure it'll be worth it, but…gawd. I am not a long book kind of gal. Short and sweet is my preference. The Great Gatsby was perfect in that regard—I could've read it in one night had the kids not haggled me to death, thus, forcing me to spend three evenings on it instead.

Crossing my fingers that it doesn't really take me a month on East of Eden, I'm digging into The Woman in White next. Have you read any of these books? Did you like them? Hate them? Do you have others to suggest?

3 comments:

  1. God I was always horrible about reading the classics. Classics to me were things like Stephen King's It and Pet Cemetery or Dean Koontz's Dragon Tears (which I had a difficult time reading). I am ashamed to admit I haven't even read any Jane Austin. I hope I don't go to writers and reader's hell. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny you should mention Woman in White, it has one of the most evil villians ever! But its been sitting half read on my bedside table for the past year. Right next to my half read Atlas Shrugged. (who is john galt? I DO NOT CARE.)
    You know, to make me look smrat. Like the smart police are going to come to my house, and check my bedside table. "hmm, Officer Crumpke, she's got some erotica, some historical, oh, thank god, Ayn Ryand. She can live."

    ReplyDelete
  3. roflmao December! I could only imagine what the Book Police would think upon perusing my shelves. ;)

    ReplyDelete